Monday, December 3, 2012

Book Review: The Night Circus

The Night Circus
Author: Erin Morgenstern
Published: 2011, Doubleday Publishing
Genre: YA Fantasy
Rating: 5/5

Sometimes I put a book on my "to buy" list and my intentions to purchase it gets lost amongst all the other books I want to buy. This is what happened with The Night Circus. I had been meaning to pick up the book for well over a year since one of my friends recommended it to me. A year later in Japan I was starving to have a physical book with in front of me. The kindle just wasn't doing it for me. Against his better judgement, my friend Chris took me to the Kinokuniya bookstore in Shinjuku where they have a selection of English texts.When I saw The Night Circus on prominent display I knew it would be one of my selections that day.

A circus comes to town without warning. The color scheme is black and white and the circus is only open at night. The circus is called Le Cirque des Reves and is a battleground of magic. Celia and Marco have been trained since they were children by their instructors for this purpose. They have been given no choice. Just as they had no choice when they fall in love. How will they survive together when only one is meant to win the challenge and live?

What I loved best about Morgenstern's writing was the breathtaking descriptions she wrote to render the surroundings of her novel believable. This writer knows how to make use of all five senses to pull her readers into the world of her novel. At times I could imagine the pain Celia endured during her father's training, see the shocking red of the twins' hair and taste the undeniable sweetness of the treats sold at the circus stands. There is one prime element a fantasy writer needs and that is the ability to make her world believable, no matter how fantastical. Morgenstern has proven her writing has this quality with her first novel.


No comments:

Post a Comment