Sunday, December 4, 2011

Book Review: Horses Never Lie About Love

Title: Horse Never Lie About Love
Author: Jana Harris
Published: Free Press, 2011
Genre: Memoir, 276 pages
Rating: 5/5

I used to rarely read memoirs. Until I was in college I was a fiction junkie. I took a summer literature class that focused specifically on the memoir genre. My favorite memoir that I read for the class was the popular Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt. In a sad twist of fate Mr. McCourt died shortly before my class began. Perhaps it was his death or my interest in Ireland that drew me to his memoir. Whatever the case, the summer of 2009 opened my reading world up. I am now a consumer of many animal related memoirs.

Harris' memoir focuses on her life after she purchases a mare and two foals to start a small breeding farm. The mare, True Colors, hasn't been touched in years and the foals have never known human touch. Filled with detailed descriptions and defining passages the reader is brought into Harris' world of horses. She struggles to gain the trust of one of the foals and tries to understand True Colors who never wants for humans. Readers will be able to sense the the atmosphere, emotion, and wonder horses bring to a person's life. Harris has made her love for horses palpable on every page. Any equine enthusiast will enjoy this engrossing read.

No comments:

Post a Comment