Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Book Review: Kira-kira

Kira-kira
Author: Cynthia Kadohata
Published: Atheneum Books, 2004
Genre: Middle-Grade, Historical Fiction
Rating: 5/5

Continuing the saga of my reading escapades on Star Island I now come to this review. After reading both novels by Lisa See I found myself facing two more days of being bookless. Another trip to the bookstore resulted in the purchase of two middle grade novels. Kira-kira caught my eye as it is a historical fiction novel about two Japanese-American sisters which won the Newbery Medal. If one wants to write for this age group one must read what is considered the best.

Katie Takeshima's whole world glitters as long as she is with her older sister, Lynne. Even as the young girls recieve stares from children and adults after they move from Iowa to Georgia Lynne reminds Katie the world glitters in some way. When Lynne falls deathly ill Katie must learn to live life as her sister wanted her to. As her family begins to break from pain and sorrow Katie finds herself looking for the kira-kira her sister always found in life.

Kodahata's novel is an excellent example of a middle-grade novel. She gives young readers a very in-depth read in which they feel the pain, happiness, fear and hope of the narrator. As an adult I found myself reflecting on the theme of this novel days after I read it. I can only imagine the impact the story would have had on me had I been able to read it as a child.

(Book #15 of the 100 Book Challenge)


No comments:

Post a Comment