Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Book Review: Cleopatra Confesses

Cleopatra Confesses
Author: Carolyn Meyer
Published: Simon & Schuster, 2011
Genre: Young Adult, Historical Fiction
Rating: 3/5

As a child I became obsessed with royal women. While my passion has mainly stayed with British Royalty I still find the mystery and life of Cleopatra VII alluring. Since I have been reading Carolyn Meyer's Young Royals novels since I was twelve, I was happy when I heard she had taken on Cleopatra.

Cleopatra is the third of her father's children and his favorite. When  her father is forced into exile Cleopatra is left without her protector in a palace where two elder sisters despise her. In a world where family is disposable in the struggle for power Cleopatra must find a way to survive. She will survive to become the queen her father intends her to be.

While I am huge advocate for Meyer's other novels, I was sadly not satisfied with this novel. The first-person perspective seemed distant and the characterization of Cleopatra does not seem as realistic as history has recorded her. Meyer missed many great opportunities to extend the plot and deepen Cleopatra's character while she watched her sister's take control of the kingdom. At times, I felt Cleopatra was a mere observer to her surroundings and not active enough to influence her own destiny. While this book was a semi-enjoyable read I would only recommend it to die-hard Cleopatra fans or fans of Meyer's past works.

(Book #17 of the 100 Book Challenge)




No comments:

Post a Comment