Thursday, July 5, 2012

Book Review: Elizabeth I

Elizabeth I
Author: Margaret George
Published: Viking Press, 2011
Genre: Historical Fiction
Rating: 5/5

A year ago I had a squealing attack when I saw Margaret George had come out with a new novel. I first encountered her work when I was 16 and purchased The Memoirs of Cleopatra. I was in love with George's work from the moment I read the first pages. Since then I have read all her novels and was excited beyond normal human understanding when I learned her latest release was about my historical idol: Elizabeth I.

Personal and political conflict plague Elizabeth in 1588 as the Spanish Armada approaches England's shores. Elizabeth will do anything to keep her kingdom safe. As Elizabeth and her closest advisors continue the never ending quest of keeping England secure others calculate how the will benefit through her reign and beyond.

Margaret George has written one of the best novels about Elizabeth I have ever read. Instead of characterizing Elizabeth as the formidable heroine she gives us what the real Elizabeth was: a human with flaws. Over the span of this 688 page novel readers will experience the triumphs and losses of Elizabeth as she struggles between her political and private life. George's knack for fine details, setting and characterization will leave readers breathless as they see Elizabeth in the last years of her reign.

(#16 of the 100 Book Challenge)

No comments:

Post a Comment