Sunday, August 12, 2012

Book Review: Interview with the Vampire

Interview with the Vampire
Author: Anne Rice
Published: 1976
Genre: Fantasy
Rating: 5/5

Several years ago I remember somebody recommending Anne Rice's novels to me when they learned I was a Twilight fan. Yes, I admit it, Stephanie Meyer's books are on my list of guilty pleasure reading. Since then, I have moved on from being a Twilight fan but I never lost my fascination with vampires. After watching the movie I knew it was time to plunge into the greater literary works of vampire novels.

Louis de Pointe du Lac is a young plantation owner is New Orleans, Louisiana. After his pious younger brother tragically dies Louis wishes for nothing except death himself. The vampire Lestat offers him a different option and he accepts. Even though he knows what he has become Louis is unable to let go of his mortal values and passions. He wants to know the meaning, the source, and the purpose for his immortal existence. With his vampire child, Claudia, they embark on the journey to find vampires in the old world of Europe. Are they evil, spawn of the devil, or do they merely exist?

What I simply loved most about Rice's writing was her ability to create such a strong narration through Louis.  From the first opening paragraphs I fell in love with this character and my ability to trust him. While Rice's writing is filled with a powerful place of setting, rich descriptions and a highly risky plot none of these compare to her strong talent for narration. I am looking forward to reading the rest of the novels in The Vampire Chronicles series.

The first three books in this series can be purchased in a lovely hardbound edition from Barnes and Noble. I purchased my copy while visiting a friend in Buffalo, NY earlier this year.

(#19 of the 100 Book Challenge)




No comments:

Post a Comment