Saturday, December 24, 2011

Book Review: The Unicornis Manuscripts

The Unicornis Manuscripts: On the History and Truth of the Unicorn
Author: Micheal Green
Published: First printing 1983, Revised and expanded 2008 by Amber Lotus Publishing
Genre: Fantasy, 168 pages
Rating: 5/5

What is the unicorn?

I think many, myself included, who have become fascinated with the legend and allure of the unicorn ask themselves this question. My first encounter with unicorns was a porcelain figure of a mare. To this day I remember staring at the figurine because it looked like a horse. In my child selfishness I pretty much demanded my mother to give it to me. She gave it to me eventually when it seemed my passion was going to endure. This passion has led me to hunt down any novels I can find featuring unicorns.

Michael Green's The Unicornis Manuscripts is truly a treasure that I was glad to discover. In the fifteenth century the scribe, Magnalucius, records his encounters with the unicorn and imparts the wisdom and truth they reveal. Not only is the content of the book captivating but the setup is one that will psychologically fool the reader. Written as if it were an English translation from a medieval text readers indeed may feel they are reading an old text. Green even went as far as to include manuscript illustrations with Latin text. Having studied Latin I found myself trying to read the fake manuscript pages.

One cannot define the range of emotions unicorns invoke in those that feel connected to the legendary creature. Perhaps, that is why unicorns are still loved. There is something in our subconscious that feels connected to what the unicorn stands for. Green's Unicornis Manuscripts will bring that familiar twinge to its readers’ souls.


No comments:

Post a Comment