Friday, December 16, 2011

Equine Reflections: Linda Kohanov's "Way of the Horse"

Earlier this year I went through a chain of events that heightened  former spiritual beliefs I had held as a child. Somehow between the loss of innocence and entering adulthood I lost the connections I had once seen. I could no longer write as a once had. I felt inadequate and any hope I had seemed to have died with the winter. The only time I felt close to actually living was when I was with my horse. When I looked into Skye's eyes I could see that she knew things about the past I did not know. I thought to myself, when I was a child I had wanted to follow horses wherever they lead me. Why should I not go to Japan to write about horses? I am nearly as passionate about the Japanese culture as I am about horses.

I began to read books about how horses have helped heal people. I talked to friends and how they felt they were healed by horses. One night I discovered the works of Linda Kohanov which include The Tao of Equus, Riding Between the Worlds, and The Way of the Horse. Kohanov is the founder of Epona Equestrian services, a stable that uses horses to reveal the emotional and mental afflictions that are holding back individuals.

While reading Riding Between the Worlds tonight I found myself with a clear cut explanation to problems I had with Skye at the beginning of this year. Horses can sense when a person is putting on a facade. They have a heightened awareness and can percieve things about a human before the individual realizes it. We have a "false self" and a "true self" and horses wants their handlers to acknowledge their "true self". Skye could sense my feelings of frustration, inadequacy, and unhappiness under the fragile smiles I gave her.  I was not a confident leader she could trust and this resulted in her refusals to go out alone at times. Not until I acknowledged my unhappiness and my desire to start a new life to her did she become more willing.

Over the summer at the SNHU MFA residency one of  my classmates hosted a Goddess card reading. I drew the card of Isis, the Egyptian goddess who symbolizes rebirth and the ability to create life. I took this, in regards to my question, that by going to Japan I could begin to create the life I want. I purchased Kohanov's Way of the Horse cards. They are not the typical tarot cards. The cards give advice for guidance from the equine perspective.

Last night I did a card reading in regards to person I feel I have a connection with. The results were quite interesting and I hope this person and I will cross paths again someday.

Do I worship horses? Perhaps in sense I do through my spirituality. I am not making prayers to horses but I am looking to them for signs. I have chosen to live my life by going wherever they lead  my spirit and passion for writing. Many will not be able to understand my reasoning or my views but I am fine with that. After all, every human lives their "truth" differently.





No comments:

Post a Comment