Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Book Review: Isabeau

Isabeau: a Novel of Queen Isabella and Sir Richard Mortimer
Author: N. Gemini Sasson
Published: August 2010, Cader Idris Press
Genre: Historical Fiction, 422 Pages
Rating: 5/5

Since I came to Japan I have found myself reading books at a faster rate than I was back in the USA. The reason why? Japan's extensive railroad system and the fact I do not have a car here means I get to sit and read on my commutes. After I had read a few Tudor/Elizabethan time era based novels I decided it was time to give another queen's story a try.

Isabella is Queen of England and married to Edward II. When she was young, she wanted her husband to love her and for them to rule together. However, Edward the II cares more for his favorite male courtiers over his and his country. The people begin to rebel against the king's as his favorite, Lord Hugh Despenser, rises to power. When Isabella dares to speak out against Despenser she finds her four young children, her lands, and income stolen from her. Unable to bear this violation she turns to the King of France and Sir Richard Mortimer for help. Mortimer is a traitor to Edward II whom Isabella helped to escape from the Tower. They will form a bond that will change the course of England's history.

Sasson is a very thorough writer both in character and description. It is evident she has put numerous hours into researching the history and personage of her characters. I found myself being able to envision the layouts of the castles and battlefields as I read her novel. The novel is told from the 1st POV of Isabella and Sir Richard through alternating chapters and I found both narrations captivating. This novel is a page turner and I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys historical fiction.




No comments:

Post a Comment