Sunday, October 7, 2012

Book Review: Battle Royale

Battle Royale
Author: Koushun Takami
Published: 1999
Genre: Dystopian Thriller
Rating: 5/5

Last March, I went to see the first movie installment of The Hunger Games. I hadn't even heard of the book series before then and planned on reading them in future. During a conversation with my friend, Chris, he recommended I read Battle Royale by Koushun Takami. I was soon to discover, in my personal opinion, The Hunger Games trilogy stole (or borrowed) it's main plot setting from Battle Royale.

Shuya Nanahara is a third-year student at Shiroiwa Junior High. He is fifteen-years-old and expected to murder his own classmates. The year is 1997 and Shuya's class has been selected to participate in the government's  Battle Royale. Only one student shall live. Driven by instinct, fear, and perhaps natural evil, Shuya watches as some of his classmates begin to participate in the game. On an island where he has no access to those he called family, his best friend dead, and all his beliefs challenged, Shuya must decide who he can trust. With his injured classmate, Noriko, and the unexpected friendship they forge with the loner Shogo Kawada, they press forward with the goal that their will be more than one survivor in this Battle Royale.

What I enjoyed most about this novel was the detailed descriptions Takami uses to portray the world of horror his young characters are forced into. Many times I could imagine the bloodied, mutilated bodies of Shuya's classmates and the exact wounds from which they died. The dark tone of this novel was carried through with each chapter, scene, sentence that Takami intentionally or subconsciously chose as he wrote. For those looking for a dystopian horror novel I recommend this novel without any reservations.

While I still have yet to read The Hunger Games I must admit that I have a preconceived negative bias towards the books now. I am hoping Suzanne Collins will challenge my opinion when I do finally read her novels.

(#23 of the 100 Book Challenge)




No comments:

Post a Comment