Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Book Review: Something Like Normal

Something Like Normal
Author: Trish Doller
Published: Bloomsbury, 2012
Genre: Young Adult ( PTSD)
Rating: 4.5/5

I received this book for free at my final residency for my MFA degree in a workshop presented by Katherine Nagler of Bloomsbury. The workshop was about the young adult market in publishing which I found interesting and informing. However, I was more excited at the end when she said students could take the advanced readers copies. Naturally, I ran up and grabbed one, not caring which title it was. I felt like I was a child again in elementary school. My school had a program where students each got a free book to promote the love of learning and literacy in young readers. I lived for those days. 

Travis returns home from Afghanistan. Not only is his best friend dead, but his home life is in shambles. He is haunted by the death of his friend and comrade. There is no peace for him except for when he is with Harper. Harper is a girl whom he wounded as a young teenager but as their relationship deepens Travis begins to look beyond his own hurt. Perhaps, in his shattered life, there is still a chance for a new kind of "normal". 

What I loved best about Doller's writing was the voice she created for Travis. Written in the first POV readers will be in Travis' head from the minute they read the first sentence to the last. I actually could not put this book down and finished it the same day I received it. For those looking for an emotionl, and raw voice of a young narrator this book is a must read. 

(#12 of the 100 Book Challenge)








No comments:

Post a Comment