Monday, November 14, 2011

Equine Affaire Book Adventures!

Over this past weekend I went to the fabulous horse convention Equine Affaire in Massachusetts. I absolutely love this event and look forward to going every year. It's my one chance in the year to see well-known trainers and riders giving seminars and be surrounded by a bunch of horse-crazy individuals. Of course, my favorite vendors are the book vendors. Every year that I go I always discover those horse-specif books that I have been looking for. This year I found three books which absolutely made me gasp and perhaps even squeal with delight.

The first is Zen Mind, Zen Horse  by Allan Hamilton. This book explores how horses affect a person's thought process, spirituality and emotions. There is a small section about horses in Japan as well. That had me sold on the spot.


The second was The Horse  in Magic and Myth by M. Oldfield Howey. The pages are filled with legends, folklore  literature, and mythological references to horses. As an individual who is curious how the horse has affected cultures and religions there was no question about me buying this book.

The third and most expensive was Horse and Man In Early Modern England by Peter Edwards. This is a book originally published in England and not readily available in the US. Let's face it: I am a nerd. I love British History and the novel I am currently working on was inspired by Elizabethan England. This book contains information about horses specific to the Tudor era. Sold for the price of $60 US dollars to the Tudor/Japan/horse obsessed college student.

2 comments:

  1. I definitely will be checking out Zen Mind, Zen Horse...I have been interested in how horses can help in healing/soothing children with special needs. Thank you for this review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always on the search for great equine books! The Zen Mind and The Horse In Magic and Myth have been added to my list! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete