Thursday, September 29, 2011

Book Review: Old Magic

Title: Old Magic
Author: Marianne Curley
Published: 2000, Simon Impulse, Imprint of Simon & Schuster
Rating: 4.5/5

I first read this book eleven years ago when I found it at my local library. I found a paperback copy at the bookstore a month ago and was so excited it was still in publication! Since this is one of the novels that introduced me to the world of young adult fantasy I picked up a copy. One of my greatest pleasures is rereading novels that influenced my early writing days.

Kate Warren has no history and is a social outcast. Abandoned by her mother, she has been raised by her grandmother who practices the "old magic". In the small town where she lives, she is accepted only by her best friend and grandmother. Not much changes or happens where she lives until the day Jarrod shows up.

Jarrod is cursed. Kate probes his mind and discovers he has immense powers. Jarrod doesn't believe in anything that doesn't follow his "rules". However, as more misfortune befalls his family, he opens up to the idea, perhaps, there is a curse. Even when he is transported back in time with Kate he still can't accept the fact he has a gift himself. What will it take to make Jarrod accept his gift?

Curley has created likable characters whom the readers can inhabit, as she crafted the novel from both Jarrod's and Kate's POV. Readers will feel Kate's frustrations and Jarrod's reluctance to open up. Her plot is well done, entertaining, and will make the reader wanting to know more and more. So much so, I still wish there was a sequel!



2 comments:

  1. One of my students just reviewed this for a class assignment. She's also a fan. Two good reviews in three days means I should probably pick it up. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete