Saturday, April 16, 2011

The Horse in My Books

I love books as much as I love horses. Throughout my childhood I depended upon books not just to escape my unhappy youth, but also to access the world of the horse. There were never enough books about horses for me; I always was looking for another one at all times. My passion for reading led to my passion for writing. Of course, my favorite thing to write about is horses and folklore surrounding the horse. So, out of a moment of nostalgia, I am going to list the horse books that have influenced my writing the most.


1. Wild Horses of Sable Island by Zoe Lucas: Age 5
2. Wild Horses of Sweet Briar by Natalie Kinsey-Warnock: 6
3.  Black Beauty by Anna Sewell: Age 8
4 .Misty of Chincoteague by Margaret Henry: Age 9
5. Saddle Club by Bonnie Bryant: Age 10
6. Horse Master: by Marilyn Singer: Age 12
7. The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle: Age 12
8. Unicorn Chronicles by Bruce Coville: Age 12
9. Skye Rider by Nancy Springer: Age 14
10. Unicorns I Have Known by Robert Vavra: Age 15
11. Heartland book series by Lauren Brooke: Age 15
12. Pegasus by Robin McKinley: Age 23
13. Horse Heaven by Jane Smiley: Age 23

Honestly, there are many more books dealing with horses I have read, but these are the ones that have changed my view on the horse in the world of literature. They are the ones I keep, safely tucked onto bookshelves or in drawers. They are the ones that will grace the book cases of my office someday when I finally have my farm, with my window overlooking the pasture of my horses. 

No comments:

Post a Comment