Monday, March 14, 2011

Writing About Horses: Human Truths

As writers we explore many different human truths through our writing and try to make sense of the things we can never have an absolute understanding of.  Have you ever found yourself coming back to the same human truths repeatedly through different poems and novels you are writing? I do, every single time.
The majestic bond between human and horse and the elements that can form or shatter it bleed from the pages of my writing. Even when I am writing a story or poem that is not horse related I find myself bringing it back to horses somehow in my mind. Another element I pursue either knowingly or subconsciously is the loss of innocence. When is that defining movement when the character loses another piece of their childhood shield? Tied together these two elements are the driving forces in my writing to create stories where growing up is reflected in the spirit of the horses and their owners.
There is something about the horse that cannot be expressed quite right in words, because there are no great words to convey the feelings they produce in humans. The story about the relationship between human and horse can be told countless times because of the abundant ways to convey the beauty of it all. So, that is why I will keep writing about the horse, no matter what other human truths I may explore through my writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment