Monday, October 31, 2011

Book Review: The Foretelling

Title: The Foretelling
Author: Alice Hoffman
Published: September 2005
Rating: 5/5

I discovered this middle-grade novel at a used bookstore. The name of the author sounded familiar to me, but I could not recall any novels that I might have read by the writer. Turns out Alice Hoffman is the author of Practical Magic which I read years ago when I was a teenager. I was happy to rediscover an author whose work I enjoyed once years ago.

Rain has been named for the sorrow from which she was conceived. She is the princess of the Amazon women and destined to be queen. She has been prescribed her destiny and her future foretold by the High Priestess. A child of the horse, Rain is raised on mare's milk and able to ride better than any warrior. She has dreamed of the black horse of death. Unlike others of her tribe she wonders about life beyond war.

Hoffman has written a compelling coming-of-age story of a young warrior whose values are different from the society she is born into. The characterization of Rain and how she changes as she grows is the heart of this story. In all purposes, Hoffman planted a beautiful blossom in the eye of the storm of this novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment